Based on my continous research into communities of practice and the CoderDojo movement, I have begun to compile a list of questions/information which may be explored as part of my survey questions and/or my interview/focus group questions. The questions can be seen below:
Semi-structured interviews/focus groups:
- collect information about the community – it’s structure, how it operates, communications between community members and other coderdojos etc.
- information about the overall coderdojo movement and a single coderdojo (e.g. cork city and county)
- how the community interacts (online, face-to-face)
- who are the community leaders and how did they get that position?
- how and why did members join the coderdojo movement?
- how is the community interactions/content monitored (posts, topics, etc.)
- what online communication tools are used by members?
- what are the characteristics of the members of the coderdojo?
- how did the community begin?
- is there contact/communication between the champions, mentors & members of different coderdojos?
- why did those who are now champions/organisers start coderdojos?
- why did mentors get involved?
- how did they promote their coderdojo to get more people and partcipants involved?
- What learning outcomes do they want the participants to achieve?
- As champions and mentors, do they expect to learn anything themselves from their own involvement in the CoderDojo?
- Why is coding such an important subject today in the opinion of champions/mentors?
- How many people take part in CoderDojos in Cork city and county?
- What is the most common age group which attends coderdojos?
- What are the reasons for people attending and organising coderdojos?
- What are the most common resources used during coderdojos to teach coding?
- What is a particpants favourite part about attending a coderdojo? (from a list of options)
- How many times are coderdojos held (per week, month etc.) and how many of them do participants attend regularly?
- How many members are in the online community?
- Why do members use the online community? (from a list of options)